Why are sensory toys good for children?
5 Reasons Sensory Toys Are Good For Children
Sensory Toys. It’s become a bit of a buzzword lately in early education circles. At CleverStuff we think they are fun and engaging – but let’s look a little deeper into some of the reasons why sensory toys are great for children.
- Sensory toys are beneficial for children as they help to stimulate their sensory development and engage them in play by allowing them to explore a variety of senses such as touch and sound.
- They can improve fine and gross motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and balance.
- Sensory toys also provide children with a fun and engaging way to explore their environment and develop their cognitive, emotional, and social skills.
- Additionally, these toys can help to reduce stress and anxiety in children, and provide a calming effect, making them ideal for children with sensory processing difficulties.
- They allow the child to experience new dimensions. Blocks with bells inside, a puzzle with fabric pieces, a mirror on an activity cube? These elements bring a new level of joy to play time.
Ready to check out the best sensory toys available? We have heaps here!
What are some sensory toys that toddlers can use?
Here are some examples of sensory toys for toddlers:
- Squishy balls: Soft, squishy balls are great for young children to play with, as they can be squeezed and stretched to develop fine motor skills.
Sound blocks: Musical blocks come in a variety of shapes and colours, providing an excellent opportunity for children to explore their sense of hearing while they build with blocks.
Building blocks are a classic toy – click here to check out our range.
- Sensory soft toys: Sensory toys are often made of different materials, such as crinkle sound interior, silk, or velvet, to help children explore different textures and sounds with their toys. We have a great range of sensory activity toys you can see here.
Musical instruments: Simple musical instruments, such as egg shakers, tambourines, xylophones, or drums, can provide children with an opportunity to explore their sense of sound and even encourage them to work on gross motor skills as they dance the day away.
If you need some musical toys for your child we have an amazing range here.
- Playdough: Playdough is a versatile and engaging sensory toy, allowing children to use their hands to squish, roll, and mold it into different shapes. You can even explore colour mixing, or add pieces of fabric or blocks for a textural delight!
Are sensory toys good for babies as well?
Yes, sensory toys can be beneficial for babies. Sensory toys help to stimulate a baby’s developing senses and can improve their overall development. For example, toys with different textures can help a baby explore and develop their sense of touch, while toys with bright colours and contrasting patterns can help stimulate their visual development.
Further to this, toys that make noise, such as rattles, can help a baby develop their sense of sound and even cause and effect – they tip the rainmaker over and it makes a sound! Even the most simple toys become a scientific discovery to a baby.
Sensory toys also provide opportunities for a baby to learn through play, experimentation and exploration, which can be important for their cognitive and emotional development.
However, it is important to choose age-appropriate toys that are safe and free from any small parts that could pose a choking hazard.
If you want to read about how to choose the perfect toy we have an article about it here.
If you’re ready to check out the amazing range of sensory toys we have, click here.